Thursday 13 August 2009

The vicar's daughter (Young) VMC

The other book that I picked up in Oxfam on Monday (and in fact, according to the inscription on the inside with the same previous owner) was The vicar's daughter by E.H. Young. It's another book that I'm struggling to write about, because not very much happens, and the book is centred around a misunderstanding which I can't really explain without giving the plot AWAY. The key is that the title is ambiguous...

E.H. Young is good at giving insight into people's lives and characters and relationships and what motivates them and this is a good portrait of life in a vicarage at the start of the 20th century. It wasn't one of my favourite VMCs, but I was gripped throughout trying to figure out what was the truth and what were misunderstandings.

It's only been published once by Virago, in the 1990s with this cover.

2 comments:

  1. It must be hard to review a book when you really can't talk about it without spoiling it for others. It sounds interesting, I love family dramas with a good dose of misunderstanding. Is it a very slim book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a fairly chunky one. I do apologise for the rubbishness of the review!

    ReplyDelete