Saturday 22 August 2009

This week's acquisitions

It's been another week for acquiring wonderful Virago books; four arrived last Saturday, and another on Monday (but since then things have gone quiet and I have been very restrained).

* All passion spent (Sackville-West)
* Daddy was a number-runner (Merriwether)
* A pin to see the peepshow (Tennyson-Jesse)
* Ordinary families (E. Arnot Robinson)
* The brimming cup (Canfield)

I'm especially looking forward to A pin...as lots of people have been discussing it on librarything.com, and reading the Canfield book as I enjoyed Her son's wife last week. The Sackville-West is quite well known.

Anyone read any of these and like to recommend them to me?

I also picked up at the end of the last week a set of three lovely green Virago biographies by Kathryn Dayus...I know they're not VMCs but I can't resist sharing the picture with you!

8 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these yet but I have the same editions of All Passion Spent and The Brimming Cup.

    I think Rachel reviewed All Passion Spent recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so amazed at how many books you acquire on a weekly basis (don't often comment, but I love snooping in on your finds). I wonder how your bookshelves look all together, must be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that same edition of All Passion Spent, and the same Ordinary Families. I'm afraid I haven't read either yet so can't recommend any.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVED "Daddy Was a Numbers Runner" and "Ordinary Families"; haven't read the others. They're very different books, but both beautifully written. I would have to say that "Daddy" has stayed with me more than "Ordinary Families", as it's much grittier and more realistic, but I really did enjoy both of these books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments guys...I don't mean to acquire so many books, and I never spend more than £3 on a VMC...I should cut down, and I'm hoping not being on holidayover the next few weeks will help me to cut down!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Brimming Cup is one of my favourite Viragos! I passed A Pin to See the Peepshow by in a second hand bookshop a while ago because I imposed a 3 book limit and I had found 3 Viragos I wanted more...wish I had bought it now, the cover is a beauty and I have heard good things. Enjoy your aquisitions! When I am finished at my camp and move on to Bath city on Thursday I am going to be hitting the bookshops so hopefully I will have some acquisitions of my own to post about when I get back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All Passions Spent was the first Virago I ever purchased. It was back in 1992, when I was living in London. If my memory serves me, there is a sequence in the book where the main character is on the Northern Line and the text ticks off the stations as they go by. As I read that part I was actually on the Northern Line passing the same stations--although the stations came faster than I could read the book so it is not like it was totally in synch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How interesting Thomas - it's one that I'm looking forward to reading soon.

    ReplyDelete