Wednesday 19 August 2009

Provincial daughter (Dashwood) VMC 482P

R.M. Dashwood is E.M. Delafield's daughter, and her book Provincial daughter pays homage to her mother's successful series. If you loved Delafield's series, then I am sure you will like this one. It is not quite as wonderful, mainly because it is not original, but certainly worth reading. The provincial daughter inhabits a similar world of running a household, but twenty years on in the 1950s. We see all the trials of motherhood and the daughter's worries and concerns about the family and her responsibilities.

The title has only been published once by Virago, fairly recently, and I was lucky enough to pick up a cheap copy in that lovely Waterstones near UCL when I was in London for a course back in November.

4 comments:

  1. I loved Diary of a Provincial Lady--will have to give this one a try as well. Have you read any of the other Provincial Lady books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have read the other Provincial Lady books - sorry if I didn't make that clear yesterday! I would recommend this one too, although it's not quite the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Provincial Daughter is a really fun addition to the PL books. I wouldn't have liked it if anyone else had written it, but from 'Vicky'... it worked. I keep hoping for a Provincial Granddaughter... but since she only had grandsons...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about the Provincial Grandson though Simon, in the 21st century it is not always the wife stuck at home managing domestic matters? He might be in a civil partnership too!

    ReplyDelete