Tuesday 25 August 2009

One fine day (Panter-Downes)

"The day promised to be hot"...

After the beautiful weather we had on Wednesday last week, I decided that it was time to read One fine day by Mollie Panter-Downes. I got it out first thing whilst killing time at the surgery, and noticed out of the corner of my eye that the rain had started to pour down - my day did not promise to open in the same way as the book had. However, this is a wonderful book to read I think as either the accompaniment to a very hot day, or on a rainy day when one has forgotten what the sun looks like. The book is set on a hot summer's day in 1946, just after the Second World War has finished, and tells the story of Laura by describing her life on that day.

Much of the book is devoted to describing how things have changed as a result of the war, and one sees Laura wondering whether things will ever be the same again. Will it be possible to get sweets without ration cards? Will the garden ever be tamed? Will she ever have servants and thus no longer have to muddle through with the housework. At the same time, we see how the village in which she lives has been affected by the war, and witness Laura's thankfulness that her family unit has come through unscathed. And ultimately, it is this which enables Laura to look forward to the future.

This is the first Panter-Downes that I have read, although Persephone books have published a number of her titles. I'm intrigued enough to want to go on and read her short stories that they have published, and fortunately own one of the volumes already!

Originally published by Virago in green here, it was re-issued earlier this year with an introduction by Angela Huth, and I bought a copy.

10 comments:

  1. I am really looking forward to reading this and may try to fit in Good Evening, Mrs Craven this week.

    Don't you love books that suit one fine day and also one miserable one? Best of both worlds and multi-faceted purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, this one sounds really good! It sounds like a more accessible Mrs. Dalloway (no stream of consciousness!)... I'm going to flag this as one to seek out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like a lot of the focus on WWII is always on the battlefield or political field. I find these portraits of life during and after the war for regular civilians very interesting. Thank you for directing me to this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is wonderful - reading a book about gorgeous weather both in lovely weather and to cheer one up when all is feeling miserable. I do love books about the home front very much - I've got a review of Love Lessons later in the week here. Book Psmith - have you tried Nella Last's diaries?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate when this happens but I read about Housewife 49 on a blog and I can't remember which one. I have her on my list of books and authors to check out, so I will definitely look out for her diaries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one book I really must try to get hold of as I've heard a lot about it and know I would love it. The trouble is I know I won't want it unless I can find that lovely 'window' cover; it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant to add that I've read her 'peacetime' stories and they're among the best short stories I've ever read. Have got the wartime ones to read as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Book Psmith - Darlene watched it recently.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Verity.
    I think this one would suit my fancy to a T. I must find it.
    belva

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Belva, if you like this one, you may also like On the side of angels by Betty Millar. Thanks for dropping in.

    ReplyDelete