Thursday 12 May 2011

New Vita Sackville-West editions




Aren't these really rather lovely? I was sent copies of the latest Virago Modern Classics re-releases at the end of April and they're out in the UK today!

I am a big fan of Vita Sackville-West (or as one of my friends refers to her - Ryvita Snackville-West!), who I only discovered as part of my VMC journey, and am really happy that there will be such attractive editions of her works available in the shops as this will hopefully encourage more people to read them.

All Passion Spent
is introduced by Joanna Lumley and The Edwardians is introduced by the historian Juliet Nicholson. Having loved both of these books, I am looking forward to reading the introductions and maybe rereading them, particularly as this summer I will finally get to visit both Knole and Sissinghurst on the August Bank Holiday (as part of a trip to do a sea swim at Margate).

4 comments:

  1. Those are very snazzy, I do like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would buy both of those just for the covers. I love the retro-travel poster look. Still haven't read any Sackville-West but I must have something to look forward to when I finish the Persephone list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are lovely - like the Winifred Holtbys. Makes me want to start collecting them all over again ...
    -- Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful and I own them both in different earlier Virago editions, but I am tempted to buy them anyway! Why do publishers do this to readers (though I am glad they do!).

    ReplyDelete