Friday 6 May 2011

Her (H.D.)


The next book I was inspired to remove from that teetering tower of VMCs was "Her" by H.D. Not really because I wanted to read it - in fact, I'd struggled through H.D.'s other VMC (Bid me to live) round about the turn of the year. I remembered when I opened it that I'd picked it up before, and put it down again.... But my friend Claire said that she'd been desperate to read "Her" since reading H.D. at university, and I thought that I could pass this onto her when I was done.

It's a very experimental book. So although the synopsis sounded interesting and like the sort of book that I might want to pick up - a book about a girl in her early twenties trying to work out what she wants to do with her life (gosh, typing that suddenly made me feel old as having just had my 27th birthday I am no longer in that category - good job I feel reasonably happy with where I am at the moment!). But somehow the writing, dare I describe it as post-modern (seems like a bit of a cop-out) was so disjointed and confusing that I never really grasped the story properly.

What a struggle! 4 people on Amazon.com have given it 5 stars so it must just be me. Here's hoping for something a bit more "me" in whatever I retrieve next....

Although I could only find an image of the original green cover, which is pictured above, it's actually been published in the green italicised format

2 comments:

  1. Aw, thanks for struggling through this on my behalf, Veri! The postmodern experimentalism excites me -and is very much what I expected- but that's me in reading for study mode as opposed to reading for enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try to remember to put it out for Simon whenever you are next seeing him. I can't get my head round serious reading at the moment (the best thing I've read this week was a book of short stories (shock horror!) by Noel Streatfeild for children).

    ReplyDelete