Tuesday 22 March 2011

New York Mosaic (Bolton) 464


If you are interested in all things New York (like Booksnob perhaps...?), then this trilogy of novellas is likely to tickle your fancy. I was at first annoyed, because Virago have published many shorter novellas individually, but I had to read three novellas in order to cross only one more book off my list. And whilst I have been to New York, and could just about envisage the places described, the writing and plots didn't grip me enough to make it a VMC that I could rave about. Or even particularly enjoyed reading.

The three novellas in the volume are:
Do I wake or sleep The Christmas Tree Many mansions

Of the three, my favourite was the second - despite reading it in March, I enjoyed the seasonal story which had a sensitive treatment of the story of a gay man at a family Christmas dinner.

Apparently in her day, Bolton was compared to Virginia Woolf, but was forgotten until Virago issued this reprint. I hate to say it but it looks like she has been forgotten again.

2 comments:

  1. I have this one! I bought it ages ago. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's that? New York, you say?! I am listening!!

    I bought this yonks ago and meant to read it before I came to New York but you know how it is...I will read it when I get home and am missing New York..but I will have lowered expectations!

    ReplyDelete