Sunday 20 February 2011

New Daphne Du Maurier Short Story Collection in May.

I already knew about this from the list of VMC titles to be released in 2011 that I was kindly sent by Sophie from Virago at the end of last year, but I was excited to see a mention of it in the Bookseller - some previously unpublished (and other) stories from Daphne Du Maurier will be released in May. You can read more about it here.

The blurb that I recieved from Virago says:

‘I want to know if men realise when they are insane. Sometimes I think that my brain cannot hold together, it is filled with too much horror – too much despair . . . I cannot sleep, I cannot close my eyes without seeing his damned face. If only it had been a dream.’ In ‘The Doll’, a waterlogged notebook is washed ashore. Its pages tell a dark story of obsession and jealousy. But the fate of its narrator is a mystery. Many of the stories in this haunting collection have only recently been discovered. Most were written early in Daphne du Maurier’s career, yet they display her mastery of atmosphere, tension and intrigue and reveal a cynicism far beyond her years.

Daphne Du Maurier is one of my very favourite authors so I don't need to say quite how excited I am about this!

‘I w

2 comments:

  1. Oh thank you for letting us know. How terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is quite cool. I've read several of her short stories and they were really good -- The Birds is so creepy, I will NEVER look at sparrows the same way again. And Don't Look Now was much better than the movie. I hope this edition is published in the U.S. as well.

    ReplyDelete